Green Town Curaçao
When we started back in 2007 we first thought of simply extending Punda and Otrobanda to the left and right of the Isla, to knot them together and to name the place “New Willemstad”. Over the years this has changed into creating GreenTown Curaçao as a durable economic anchor with a supreme Marine -and Entertainment Center in the Caribbean, offering a safe haven during hurricanes, adding more industries to the local economy and doubling Government income and visitors to Curaçao.
We project that the development of GreenTown will have a tremendous positive impact on Curaçao with likely outcomes including:
* The net creation of 10,000 to 16,000 permanent jobs
* Thousands of temporary jobs connected to remediation and construction
* Increase tourism expenditures
* Increase tax revenues
* Increased real estate values
* Further diversification of Curaçao’s economy
* Concentrated urbanization in the centre of Willemstad
* Positive environmental impact
* Make every Yu di Kòrsou show a united national pride
* A boost to Curaçao’s image and international competitive power
GreenTown is an extraordinary opportunity to transform the Isla Refinery site and to use this plan as the economic start motor, propelling Curaçao for the second time in the Caribbean limelight and making it once more one of the wealthiest countries in the Caribbean.
By Andres Casimiri